Here at Aloha Surf School we aim to provide Surfing and Stand Up Paddleboarding experiences in a professional, accessible and sustainable manner, minimising as much as possible our footprint on our local environment.
We live, work and play outdoors. Everything we do depends on the natural playground around us and as such we have particular interest to strive as much as possible to minimise any impact that we might have.
We are located at one of the Geosites of The Burren and Cliffs of Moher UNESCO Geopark.
In 2011 the Burren and the Cliffs of Moher gained Global Geopark status, already spectacular neighbours, their coming together formed a destination of natural wonders. Making up over 530 square kilometres the Burren and Cliffs of Moher Geopark offers diversity that is second to none. This rich and alluring landscape of staggering sea cliffs, limestone karst terraces, fertile valleys, vibrant villages and welcoming communities offers some truly inspiring experiences.
The Burren and Cliffs of Moher Geopark not only has outstanding natural and culture heritage but a management organisation that supports its people and organisations to work together to ensure a cared-for landscape, a better-understood heritage, more sustainable tourism, a vibrant community and strengthened.
- Our Burren landscape tells a fascinating geological story that spans over 330 million years.
- Only here in The Burren can you find an extraordinary botanical combination of Artic, Alpine and Mediterranean flowers growing side by side.
- The Burren. has over 3,000 archaeological monuments that record 6,000 years of history.
- We have farming and musical cultural traditions that are thriving and celebrated.
We are also a member of the Burren Ecotourism Network, which is a network of tourism businesses with the objective of establishing the Burren as a premier internationally-recognised sustainable tourism region ensuring the future economic and social growth and sustainable development of its communities, environment and heritage. It seeks to support continued training, mentoring and accreditation in sustainable tourism for its members and for businesses interested in joining the Network.
The Burren Ecotourism Network and the management organisation of the Burren and Cliffs of Moher UNESCO Global Geopark enjoy a special relationship. Both organisations are committed to the promotion of responsible tourism that conserves the environment and improves the well-being of local people. Having agreed in late 2012 to pool their resources in pursuit of their common objective, they work together to promote ‘The Burren & Cliffs of Moher UNESCO Global Geopark’ as a leading sustainable visitor destination, celebrated for high standards in visitor experience, conservation and learning,
The International Ecotourism Society (TIES) (www.ecotourism.org) defines Ecotourism as “Responsible travel to natural areas that conserves the environment and improves the welfare of local people”
With this in mind we have a number of guidelines along which our business is run in order that we can be as environmentally and socially responsible as possible.
We have undergone the Leave No Trace training and promote the Leave No Trace Principals in all of our activity and to all of our customers
- Plan ahead and prepare
- Be considerate of others
- Respect farm animals and wildlife
- Travel and camp on durable ground
- Leave what you find
- Dispose of waste properly
- Minimise the effects of fire
Please Leave No Trace of your visit
Our Ecotourism documentation are available to read at our surf school. These show clearly our procedures and plans, what we are currently doing and what we intend to do. We are aware that there is more we can do and will continue trying. If you have any suggestions on how we can improve we would love to hear from you.
So how can you make a difference?
Below we have links to various websites with information on responsible travel, conservation and ecotourism.
Make a change:
– Change.ie www.change.ie
– Leave No trace www.leavenotraceireland.org
– Power of One www.powerofone.ie
– Race against waste www.raceagainstwaste.com
– Sustainable Energy Ireland www.sei.ie
– The Nappy Issue! www.ecobaby.ie
– Greentraveller www.greentraveller.co.uk
– Seat 61 www.seat61.com
– Ethical Traveller www.ethicaltraveller.ie
– Fairtrade www.fairtrade.ie
– Friends of the Earth www.foe.ie
– Surfers Against Sewage www.sas.org.uk
Organisations we support:
– Burrenbeo trust www.burrenbeo.com
– Surfrider Foundation Europe www.surfrider.eu